Protect an oft overlooked IT asset: Your business domain name
Though you may not realize it, your business domain name is an incredibly important asset. It tells people where your website is on the internet, where company emails are delivered to, and where they originate from.
Many big companies, including even Microsoft, have inadvertently failed to renew their domain names. This can cause your business website to go down, email can stop flowing, and – worst case scenario – another party could take possession of your domain name!
The obvious lesson: Don’t neglect your domain name(s). Specifically, here are a few best practices:
- Be certain that there is more than one person at your company responsible for registering and renewing domain names and keep the login user name and password for your registrar secure.
- Confirm your “whois” domain name registration details regularly.
- Renew critical domain names for lengthy periods of time – not just year-to-year. You can even purchase/renew domain names for 10-year periods.
- Use a reputable domain name registrar.
- Take advantage of your registrar’s auto-renewal options and ensure that payment information is kept up to date.
- Be sure that the e-mail contacts for your registration are valid and don’t use only email addresses associated with the domain name itself.
Let us know if you have any questions and please take a moment right now to ensure you are master of your domain. : )
From your friends at OneClick Solutions Group